Tuesday 15 February 2011

Romance or no chance?

As it was Valentine's Day yesterday, I was thinking about marriages within my Family Tree and relationships that had developed, or not, over the years.
One of the difficulties in Family Tree research is that in these modern times, couples do not always get married now and therefore you lose your way a little in identifying relationships.

So I decided to look at the Nickisson's in my Family Tree and how many had actually got married (perhaps more than once).

In my Family Tree there are:
  • 387 person's.
  • 172 were born Nickisson's, 90 of them being male.
  • 97 Nickisson's got married.
  • 19 married twice.
  • 2 married three times.
A few interesting Nickisson facts:

Brotherly love!!!!!!!!!
John William Nickisson (1903-1934) married Sarah Ann Harvey (1909-1996) in 1933. When John William died, Sarah Ann married John William's older brother Herbert Nickisson (1908-1980) in 1942.

Sadness.
Leonard Nickisson (1921-1992) married Marjorie Kitchen (1924-1944) in 1943. They had a child, a Marjorie Shirley Nickisson (1944-1944) and it is believed that mother and daughter died in childbirth. Leonard married again in 1947.

True Love (I like to think)
William Nickisson (1871-1951) married Annie Dobson (nee McDermot)(1883-1951) in 1946 at the age of 74. Annie Dobson was 63. They had three children before they were married so why wait so long to get married?
William married a Sarah Ann Colclough (1876-1946) in 1893 and had 12 children, then around 1915 William went missing. The first world war military service record of one of their sons states: Name and address of next of kin - Father - William Nickisson; Address not known.
William Nickisson must have then met Annie Dobson some time around that period and their first child, of three, was born in 1921.
Going by the date of their marriage in 1946, it suggests that they could not marry until Williams first wife (Sarah Ann) had died.

I like to believe that William and Annie loved each other so much that they
wanted to prove it in marriage, even if it was so late in life.
They died within a month of each other.

Romance or no chance - One Liners?

I still miss my ex-husband, but my aim is getting better.

Love may be blind, but marriage is a real eye opener.

My wife says I never listen to her....or something like that.

I haven't spoken to my wife in 18 months. I don't like to interrupt her.

Marriages are made in heaven. So is thunder and lightning.

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.

And Finally:
Get married early in the morning. That way, if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted a whole day

1 comment:

  1. Hello Garry

    Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated your blog for the One Lovely Blog Award. Please visit my blog GenWestUK (http://www.genwestuk.blogspot.com/) for your badge and acceptance rules.

    Best wishes

    Ros

    ReplyDelete